Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Producing a Sustainable Trade Show Booth Part 2

Sign construction is something new for me. I’ve designed, placed orders for, and hung sign, but never built one. This was a definite labor of love.

We wanted a sign that was going to have life outside of the trade show floor and would illustrate the style and design strength Twirl brings to each event it builds, with the environment and sustainability in mind.

I enlisted the help of Anton Berteaux, an experienced builder and welder, Matt Williams, a talented designer and Chuck Inman of Phantom Signs to advise on materials, design and construction instruction. Their expertise was invaluable!

I purchased non-VOC paint from Eco-Home Improvement in Berkeley and repurposed all of the other materials from various sources like scrap yards and leftovers from Chuck’s shop.

Anton offered his shop in on his solar-powered farm in Winters and under his direction, I hand cut the copper to form the lettering of the Twirl logo.

The other part of my contribution to the booth was the word display to describe elements of green event design. As mentioned in the previous post all the materials were sourced from Scrap. Another green addition to this project was the staff at Eco-Home Improvement recommended that I can take the non-VOC paint I purchased from them to Purcell Paint, also in Berkeley and have it filled into a spray paint can for easier application. I had made stencils of the words and spray painting the lettering made the job quicker and easier to accomplish.

Now I am packing up my toolbox with scissors, tape, glue, twine, clothes pins, measuring tape, cards, new business cards, and the organic table cloths for smooth and efficient installation at the San Francisco Concourse. I am ready for this trade show to start!

No comments: